Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My thoughts on "The Machine is Us/ing Us"

At first, I completely did not understand the title to this video. I didn’t even read it properly. I read it straight through-the machine is using us. Soon after seeing the video twice I understood what the meaning behind the title was. I went back to it and realized the point was to say the machine is us. Michael Wesch is right when he states we are the machine. We create, we post, we blog, we rebuild, we edit. It is because of us the websites such as Facebook exist, because we are constantly using it and inviting more people to join. Yes the “machine” keeps us together. As the video showed we not only communicate in digital writing but also through videos on web-sites like YouTube.

Before, it wasn’t as easy as it is now to write on a computer. As Wesch informs, websites were written on HTML format, it used codes for simple things that are now a simple one click away for us. Of course it’s more flexible, comfortable, and easy. Every day the web’s techniques becomes easier making us more attracted to it, allowing us to have more control over it and the people involved. What I do not clearly understand is the point that Wesch makes when he says we “teach the machine”. Does he mean we manipulate the machine to act on our orders?

No comments:

Post a Comment